This might be my favourite recipe ever. I LOVE banana bread, it is the most comforting and delicious dessert. The flavours of melted chocolate chips, banana and soft sponge in this chocolate chip banana breas is just.... amazing.
This recipe is moist, sweet, chocolatey and perfect for a quick weekend bake. To make it even better, you can eat this as soon as it comes out the oven - something I do every single time I make this recipe. The chocolate will still be melted and the sponge, soft. You need to make this ASAP to appreciate how wonderful this experience is!
As aforementioned, this can be a quick weekend bake or even week night when you fancy a sweet treat! The oven baking time is only 50 minutes and the prep time is max 20 minutes. So imagine, you could have a fresh, warm chocolate chip banana bread coming out of your oven in less than 2 hours! Tempting right?
In terms of altering the flavours in this chocolate chip banana bread, you could add any nuts or additional elements (e.g. raisins) that you fancy. Also, you could use a mix of different chocolates for the chocolate chips, giving an ultimate chocolate banana experience.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Almond Milk
- Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Vegetable Oil
- Vanilla Extract
See recipe card below for full quantities and directions for this classic banana bread.
I would say that the best way to prepare your banana is to place it in a food processor and blitz it all together, until a smooth banana paste has formed. It is quick and painless unlike using a fork and a bowl to prepare it. This is a quick trick which I have been doing for a while now, and it make such a difference to how long this recipe takes!
To watch me make this recipe, click here. Let me know how you get on with this recipe in the comments below! Enjoy.
Add the banana to decorate
Add chocolate on top
If you fancy something slightly different, you could substitute ingredients in these muffins to switch it up!
- Fruit - instead of bluebs, you could use raspberries, strawberries or any berry you fancied! You could also substitute fruit completely for chocolate chips or peanut butter chips.
- Crumble - use could leave the crumble out if you just wanted a plain blueberry muffin, this will still be delicious.
- Gluten - you can substitute the flour for GF flour if you wish.
All you need for this recipe is a mixing bowl, whisk, loaf baking tin and a food processor if you want to use one to mash the bananas up.
This banana bread lasts up to 3-4 days. The fruit on top is the part which will go off quicker! You can just leave that bit out if you want.
Make sure you use a just ripe/ under ripe banana for your decoration on top. The actual banana bread calls for over ripe banana but the decorative banana can't be too ripe otherwise it will go soggy.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 290 g Banana as ripe as possible
- 75 ml Vegetable oil
- 180 g Soft light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Baking powder
- 195 g Plain white flour
- 250 g Chocolate chopped, I use a sweet dark chocolate
- 1 Banana for decoration on top (optional)
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C/ 356°F. Grease a rectangular baking tin with a small amount of butter.
- Smash your bananas up as much as you can, forming a banana paste. You could use a fork for this, or an easier option is to just use a food processor (it makes this way quicker). Add the oil, sugar, baking soda + baking powder and flour to the bowl, in that order. Mix together between each ingredient addition. Add ¾ of your chocolate and combine.
- Pout your banana bread mixture into you greased loaf tin. Cut your whole banana in half and place on top of the mixture, seed side up. Scatter the rest of the chocolate on top. Bake the banana bread for 50 minutes, or until a fork comes out of the middle clean.
- Enjoy your banana bread warm or cold. Drizzle with melted chocolate or peanut butter... ENJOY!