I LOVE french toast and when I first made french toast crumpets I fell in love so I thought I needed to remake them in a different form! I opted for a blueberry lemon compote with creme fraiche and... it was SO GOOD! You are going to love these blueberry french toast crumpets.
When you add the crumpets to the french toast mixture and fry it they go crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. They taste sweet and cinnamony and they are so moreish!
There isn't many ingredients that you need for this recipe. I made the blueberry compote which is actually really easy but you could just buy bluberry jam if you preferred/ were strapped for time!
- Creme fraiche
See recipe card for quantities.
The first step is to soak the crumpets in your french toast mixture before frying them in butter until crispy and caramelised. Then you are going to top with creme fraiche and your blueberry lemon compote and finish with lemon peel.
Fry your crumpets
Make the compote
Layer it all up
You could substitute this Blueberry French Toast Crumpets recipe with anything you want!
- Blueberries - you could make any compote with whatever fruit you fancied.
- Crumpets - you could use any sort of bread you fancy here. The crumpets work really nicely to soak up the french toast mixture but any bread would do!
All you need for this recipe is a frying pan, a saucepan and a bowl.
Eat these immediately after making! These won't taste as good if you store them.
If you want to give another type of french toast crumpet recipe a go, try my classic maple and pecan one here.
Looking for other recipes like this? Try these:
Blueberry French Toast Crumpets
- 2 Crumpets
- 4 tablespoon Double cream I used an oat-based one
- 1 tablespoon Honey/ maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
For the Blueberry Lemon compote
- 150 g Blueberries
- 1 Lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon White sugar
For the top
- 3 tablespoon Creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon Lemon peel
- 1 Drizzle Maple syrup
- Add your blueberries, lemon juice and sugar to a saucepan on a medium heat. Squish the blueberries down and leave to cook for around 12 minutes. Stir occasionally. It should thicken! Then leave to the side.
- Make your french toast soak by combining the cream, honey, cinnamon and 1 tablespoon sugar in a bowl. Then add your crumpets in and allow to soak for around 30 seconds on each side.
- Add 2 tablespoon butter to a frying pan and place onto a medium-high heat. Once hot, add the crumpets and fry on both sides for a couple of minutes, until golden and crispy.
- Layer up your french toast crumpets, the creme fraiche and the blueberry compote to a plate. Finish with lemon peel/ zest and a drizzle of maple syrup. ENJOY!