I love banana bread. It is such a classic baking recipe which I come back to time and time again. I wanted to try something a bit different with this recipe and make the same classic chocolate filled banana bread but now in muffin form! These Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins are the perfect, easy, vegan treat. I think I might love them even more than the original!
Muffins are a perfect way to enjoy dessert. They are easy to make, with this recipe taking only 20 minutes in the oven and around 10 minutes prep time! Further, they can be transported easily so could be taken to work. picnics, road trips etc. Don't worry though, the ease of this recipe doesn't detriment the flavour of these chocolate banana bread muffins. They are quintessentially banana bread: soft banana flavour sponge and full to the brim with chocolate chunks. Dreamy!
My favourite cupcake cases to use for these muffins (and also any cupcakes I make) are deep cases. If you don't want to order new cases, just use any standard cupcake cases you have laying around- they will still work perfectly. I used some classic white cupcake cases to test this recipe and they worked great!
If you are more in the mood for a classic baked banana bread, you could try my other banana bread recipes. Here is the link to my classic chocolate banana bread recipe and my blueberry and white chocolate banana bread.
I hope you love these chocolate banana bread muffins as much as I do! Let me know if you have any questions in the comments below.
Chocolate Banana Bread Muffins
- 290 g Bananas as ripe as possible
- 75 ml Vegetable oil
- 180 g Sugar I used light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Baking powder
- 195 g Flour plain, white, all-purpose
- 200 g Chocolate chunks I used half dark + half milk chocolate
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C/ 357F.
- Smash your bananas up as much as you can, forming a banana paste. You could use a fork for this, or an easier option is to just use a food processor (it makes this way quicker). Once the banana is blended, add the oil, sugar, baking soda + baking powder and flour to the bowl, in that order. Mix together between each ingredient addition. If you used a food processor you could add the ingredients to the food processor instead of the bowl and combine. Once the banana bread batter has formed, add your chocolate chunks and combine.
- Prep a muffin baking tray with 12 cupcake cases. Spoon in the mixture evenly. Place into the oven for 20 minutes.
- Once they are out of the oven, leave them to cool fully or enjoy warm straight out of the oven. I think they are best straight out of the oven because of the melted choc! But they are great the next couple of days too. Store in an airtight container or wrapped in cling film/ foil. Enjoy 🙂