This strawberry sheet cake is the perfect, easy summer cake recipe. The sponge is made with Olive Oil. This not only pairs perfectly with the strawberries, it also makes the sponge itself super moist and soft. Whipped cream is lathered on top of the soft sponge. Then, the sheet cake is crowned with the strawberries, a couple of raspberries and mint- dreamy.
I am being serious when I say that this is a really EASY recipe too. You combine your cake batter ingredients, bake, leave to cool and then decorate. There's no faffing around with cutting your sponge into even layers or ensuring your buttercream divides your sponge layers equally. These are the kinds of issues you'd face when making a full on layered cake, but not with this recipe! This is just a simple cake recipe, providing a delicious treat with the majority of the effort taken away.
You could switch your fruit up to anything you fancied. This sheet cake would work with blackberries, pears or even a tropical vibe. After saying that, I am definitely making a tropical sheet cake very soon!
To buy the exact square baking tin (with a removable bottom) that I use, follow this link! (aff)
I hope you love this strawberry sheet cake recipe. It is quick, easy and an absolute crowd pleaser. The kind of dessert that goes down VERY well at a dinner party.
To watch a video of me making this sheet cake, click here. Let me know how you get on with it. G x
Strawberry Sheet Cake
- 170 g Flour all-purpose, plain, white
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- 160 ml Milk almond milk, unsweetened
- 100 g Caster sugar
- ¾ teaspoon Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 100 ml Olive oil
- 150 ml Whippable double cream I used a soy based one
- 8-10 Strawberries
- 5 sprigs Mint
- 6 Raspberries for decoration- optional
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C. In a large bowl, combine your milk and apple cider vinegar. This should curdle once you've mixed it together- leave aside for a minute or so. Then, to the same bowl, add the oil, sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt and whisk together until all combined.
- Line the bottom of a deep 15 cm square baking tin with baking paper. I use a tin which has a removable bottom (if you message me on Instagram I will send you the link of the one I use, its from Amazon) Pour your cake batter into your tray and then bake in your pre-heated oven for 35 minutes, or until a knife comes out of the centre clean. Then leave the cake to fully cool. If you want to do this ahead of time, wrap your cake in cling film, ready to decorate the following day.
- Place your cream into a standing mixer and mix on a high speed until it is fully whipped. Chop your strawberries in half, or whatever you prefer for decoration. Get your mint and raspberries ready, if you are using them.