Carrot cake is definitely the cake flavour of this season. It is the perfect spring time cake and is one of my personal favourites! This carrot sheet cake satisfies all of the carrot cake cravings, with spiced, moist sponge and a decadent cream cheese frosting.
One of the amazing things about this recipe is how easy it is. The sponge comes together in around 15 minutes and only takes 25 minutes in the oven. Then all you need to do is let it cool, make a cream cheese frosting and decorate! This means that this cake is WAY easier than a normal layered cake. You don't have to spend any time cutting cake layers or piping buttercream, you simply bake and spread the icing on! Simple and so so delicious. If you do fancy giving a bigger, layered cake a go, here's my layered carrot cake recipe!
The ingredients needed in this recipe are pretty simple. Some may be new to you like flax seeds. To make a vegan egg, you can use ground flaxseeds combined with water. It produces a gloopy, egg-like consistency which works well! The remaining ingredients are listed below.
- Baking powder + soda
- Apple cider vinegar
- Vanilla extract
- Cream cheese
See the recipe card below to see the full ingredients and quantities.
I make this carrot sheet cake in a 15cm tin with a removable bottom. The removable bottom allows you to easily get the sponge out once it is finished! 15cm is quite small so if you have a larger tin, you will need to increase the ingredient amounts. I recommend doubling up on everything!
This is a great choice for a snack over the Easter weekend and an easy cake to bake with kids! I hope you love this carrot sheet cake as much as I do. Please do let me know how you get on with it! If you fancy some carrot cake cupcakes instead, click here.
Add to tin and bake
Mix the batter
Add the cream cheese frosting
This recipe is already dairy-free and vegan. However, there are still some substitutions you may like to make.
- Cream cheese - instead of using a cream cheese frosting you could go for a vanilla buttercream or even just a whipped cream. I love the cream cheese flavour with the carrot cake but if that doesn't float your boat, go for another topping!
- Flour - instead of plain white flour, you could use gluten free flour to make this gluten free. I recommend a 50/50 gluten-free flour.
- Carrots - you can interchange any of my carrot cake recipes with grated apple instead of carrot. It is equally as delicious!
Use a baking tray with a removable bottom for the brownies. As stated in my top tip, this will really help when getting the cake out of the tin. In terms of other ingredients, you will really only need basic kitchen equipment like a mixing bowl, whisk and spoons.
Store the carrot sheet cake in an airtight container in a chilled temperature. Good for 2-3 days.
Use a baking tray with a removable bottom! This sounds simple but it will make a world of a difference when you are trying to get the carrot cake out of the pan.
Carrot Sheet Cake
- 120 g Flour plain, white, all-purpose
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon Cinnamon ground
- 130 g Soft light brown sugar
- ½ tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 75 ml Vegetable/ coconut oil
- 30 ml Milk
- 1 Flax egg 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed in 2 tablespoon water
- 110 g Carrot grated
- 9 Pecan halves
For the cream cheese frosting
- 150 g Cream cheese I used an almond based one
- 50 g Icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C/ 356°F. Get your baking tin ready by greasing the sides and lining the bottom with parchment paper. I used a 15cm square baking tin with a removable bottom. The removable bottom will help you get the sponge out neatly so I recommend you using one. Also, 15cm is quite a small baking tin so if yours is bigger, increase the ingredient amounts of this recipe!
- In a large bowl, sieve + combine all of the dry ingredients: the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine the milk and the apple cider vinegar. Leave aside for one minute whilst this curdles (it is supposed to do this!) Once curdled, add the other wet ingredients: the oil and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, along with the flax egg and grated carrot. Whisk as you go.
- Spoon the carrot cake batter into the lined baking tin. Then bake for 25 minutes!
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla extract. Combine together with a spoon. You could combine it with a hand mixer but it isn't actually necessary here.
- Once your cake is cooled, remove from the baking tin and spread the cream cheese frosting on top.Add pecans, slice it up and devour! ENJOY!