I have made this recipe to enjoy the experience of Carrot Cake as much as I possibly can. I LOVE carrot cake but it isn't often that I have the time to make a full on cake. However, these Carrot Cake Cupcakes are quick and easy to make, but still holds all the beautiful flavours of the classic carrot cake. If you fancy going for the full on Carrot Cake experience, click here for my recipe!
The sponge is infused with flavours of carrot and cinnamon. It is soft, moist and wonderful in flavour. Paired with a smooth, sweet vanilla buttercream these cupcakes are dreamy! I topped them with cute Carrot toppers but you could choose whatever you want to decorate yours with. You could opt for nuts, chocolate or even some caramelised fruit.
This is a great recipe for easter/ spring time, when everyone fancies Carrot Cake. But really, you could enjoy these any time of the year. A birthday, Christmas, work event, a weekend treat.. this recipe is fab for any occasion.
I make the buttercream icing with something called vegetable shortening. This is essentially vegetable fat which can be used as a substitute for butter. It produces a wonderfully white and firm buttercream. When using only butter, the buttercream icing can sometimes be too loose, with the chance of melting, high! With the vegetable shortening it stays nice and firm in texture. It is also lovely having a super white buttercream. However, if you can't source the vegetable shortening, just use all butter. Note, it will be more yellow in colour and you will have to be more careful with keeping them cold!
I really hope that you love these Carrot Cake Cupcakes recipe. Please let me know how you get on in the comments below.
To watch me make these cupcakes, click here.
Carrot Cake Cupcakes
- 120 g Flour plain, white, all-purpose
- ½ teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon Cinnamon powder
- 130 g Soft light brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Vanille extract
- 75 ml Vegetable oil
- 30 ml Almond milk unsweetened
- 1 Flax egg 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed diluted in 2 ½ tablespoon water
- 110 g Carrot grated
For the Buttercream Icing
- 270 g Butter
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla extract
- 400 g Icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon Water if necessary
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Prep your cupcake cases. Place 8 into a muffin tray.
- In a large bowl, sieve + combine all dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and sugar) together. In a separate bowl, combine the milk and the apple cider vinegar. Once curdled, add the other wet ingredients: the oil and vanilla extract. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, along with the flax egg and grated carrot. Whisk as you go.
- Place into cupcake holders. Bake for 20 minutes and then leave to cool.
- In a standing mixer, add the butter and beat on medium-high speed until creamed. Sieve the icing sugar into the same bowl. Then add the vanilla extract + water. Mix on a low speed for 1-2 minutes, and then increase to a high speed for a further minute or two, until a light and smooth buttercream icing has formed. You can leave this for longer if you want the icing fluffier. The longer you leave it, the lighter it will become.
- Once your cupcakes are completely cool, place the icing into a piping bag and pipe onto the cupcakes. You can do this in whatever way you like! I further decorated with Easter carrot sprinkles but you could do something simple like a walnut. Enjoy!