These gingerbread cupcakes are the perfect recipe to get you into the holiday spirit! They have ginger and cinnamon spiced sponge with a gingerbread crumb buttercream. Crowned with a little gingerbread man, these gingerbread cupcakes are the perfect christmas cupcake!
I am SO excited for all of the christmas recipes I have in store for you. There are many christmas dessert ideas coming for you to choose from this holiday, starting with this one! I have included lots of classics like yule log, sticky toffee pudding and some more modern takes on christmas classics. If there is any specific christmas recipe you wanted, please let me know and I will schedule it in!
This recipe is packed full of delicious gingerbread. Flavours of ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon float amongst the moist, soft sponge. The buttercream is flavoured with vanilla bean and has a beautiful smooth, silky texture. To make the buttercream elevated, crushed gingerbread biscuits are mixed in, adding further gingerbread flavour to the gingerbread cupcakes. Finally a little gingerbread man sits on top, to finish these cupcakes off perfectly! These gingerbread men come from Mcvities. I have linked them here if you want to buy them, they are completely vegan!
I hope you love these christmas cupcakes as much as I do. Let me know how you get on in the comments section below.
- 170 g Flour plain, white, all-purpose
- 1 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- 160 ml Almond milk unsweetened
- 130 g Sugar white, caster, super-fine
- ¾ teaspoon Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 90 ml Vegetable/ coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon Ginger ground
- 1 teaspoon Nutmeg ground
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon ground
For the icing
- 240 g Butter
- 300 g Icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 50 g Gingerbread biscuits (or ginger nut)
For the decoration
- 8 Mini gingerbread men
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C/ 356°F. Get 8 cupcake cases ready in a baking tray.
- Whisk milk and apple cider vinegar in a bowl. Once curdled, add your oil and sugar. Combine. In a separate bowl, sieve the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon + nutmeg and combine. Spoon your dry ingredients into your milk mixture, whisking as you go.
- Spoon the batter into cases evenly. Place in the oven for 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes, take your cupcakes out of the oven and leave to cool (you can leave them overnight in an airtight container if you wish).
- Place the butter into a standing mixer. Beat on a medium-high speed for around 3 minutes, creaming the butter. Add the icing sugar and vanilla extract. Beat on a medium-high speed for a further 5 minutes. The icing should become white in colour and smooth. At this stage, you may need to add some water to soften the icing. Add this 1 teaspoon at a time and beat. If you want your icing to be extra gingerbread-y, add some spices at this stage (e.g. ginger/ cinnamon).
- Once your icing is ready, mix your crushed gingerbread biscuits in until fully combined. Then, place the gingerbread buttercream icing into a piping bag with your chosen nozzle attached.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, pipe your icing onto the sponge. Then, add a mini gingerbread man on top. Enjoy!