These Caramelised apple fluffy pancakes are the perfect autumn breakfast option. Soft, fluffy American-style pancakes are stacked up high and crowned with caramelised apple, pecans and doused in maple syrup. DREAMY!
To make these vegan pancakes have a super soft, fluffy texture, I use aquafaba and baking powder. The baking powder allows the pancakes to rise and form the pancake bubbles whilst the aquafaba works in lieu of eggs. All of the other ingredients are pretty standard, which you should already have at home! For example, you will need flour, sugar, oil and milk (I use unsweetened almond milk but this is up to you).
This recipe only uses 6 ingredients for the pancakes and you only need one bowl and a frying pan! This means this is an easy, quick recipe which you could create whenever the pancake craving hits!
For the caramelised apples, I stew chopped apples with light brown sugar, cinnamon and a dash of water. I cook this down before adding butter, which provides a slightly crispy element to these sugary, cinnamony apples. It is SO good and I could actually just eat these completely on their own!
If you are in the mood for something more chocolatey, you could try my chocolate chip pancake recipe. The same base of pancake is used but this time, the pancakes are loaded with chocolate chips... and it tastes amazing!
I hope you love these Caramelised apple fluffy pancakes. They are easy, quick and completely vegan... but still very delicious! Let me know how you get on, or if you have any questions in the comments section below. ENJOY!
Caramelised Apple Fluffy Pancakes
- 125 g Flour plain, white, all-purpose
- 2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 3 tablespoon Sugar white, caster
- 175 ml Nut milk I used almond milk
- 3 tablespoon Aquafaba chickpea water
- 2 tablespoon Vegetable/ coconut oil
For the apples and topping
- 2 Apples medium sized
- 3 tablespoon Soft light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon Water
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 2 tablespoon Pecans chopped
- Maple syrup as much as you want!
- Whisk the flour, sugar and baking powder together in a large bowl. Pour the milk in and whisk until combined - keep whisking until there are no lumps. Add the aquafaba + vegetable oil and whisk again to combine.
- Heat a large frying pan on medium heat. Pour some vegetable oil in the pan and then use some kitchen paper to evenly wipe the oil across the surface - you don’t want loaaads of oil in the pan, just enough to cover the surface. Alternatively, use a non stick pan.
- Using a large spoon, pour the batter into the frying pan in even, circular shapes. After around 1-2 minutes, you will see bubbles coming to the top of the pancakes. After this has happened, flip them over for another 30 seconds on the other side. This stage does depend on how hot your pan is so pay attention to the pancakes, if they seem ready, flip them!
- Chop your apples into small square chunks. Place them into a saucepan with the light soft brown sugar, cinnamon and water. Mix together and then place the pan onto a medium-high heat and allow the apples to cook, stirring occasionally. After about 5 minutes the apples should be nice and soft. Once you are at this stage, drain the apples if there is any excess water in the pan. Then, place the 1 tablespoon butter into the pan and return to the heat for a further few minutes. This stage will caramelise and crisp the apples a little bit!
- If you don't want to multitask making the apples alongside the pancakes, prepare the apples before you start the pancake process.
- Once ready, stack the pancakes up onto a plate. Then add your caramelised apple, pecans and maple syrup! Devour immediately.