An absolute classic. The type of cupcake that you will always go back to. Can anything beat chocolate in a cupcake? I'm not sure! And to make it even better? This is a Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes recipe. Taking the classic cupcake, and turning it plant-based, but still delicious.
I have adapted this recipe many times, trying to create the perfect vegan chocolate cupcakes recipe. I think I have finally achieved this. The sponge is moist, yet crumbly. The icing is creamy, yet chocolatey. The combination of the two together is just one to die for.
What makes this recipe even better? It is pretty simple. You could go from start to finish in just a matter of hours so it is a nice weekend bake for when you want a little treat.
Note. I use vegetable shortening for the icing of these cupcakes. This is basically veggie fat in substitute of using all butter. When you make icing like this, it stays firmer and is more resistant to melting. The brand I buy (in the UK) is called Trex. However, if you find it is difficult to come by, you could just use all butter. If you choose to make your buttercream with just butter, be careful with the consistency and ensure there is enough icing/ cocoa to keep the icing firm. If you feel the icing is a little too loose, just try adding another tablespoon or two of icing and mix.. I have since edited this as I think using all butter works for more people, especially the home baker who doesn't need their icing to be super firm!
Full recipe is written below. I really hope you enjoy! Let me know how you get on.
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
- 120 g Flour plain, white, all-purpose
- 100 g Cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- 160 ml Milk unsweetened almond
- 2 tablespoon Vanilla extract
- 110 g Caster sugar
- ¾ teaspoon Baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon Baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 130 ml Vegetable oil
- 260 g Butter
- 350 g Icing sugar
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C/ 356F. Get a cupcake baking tray ready with 8 cupcake liners.
- Whisk your milk and apple cider vinegar together in a bowl. In a separate bowl, sieve the flour, baking powder, cocoa (40g), soda + salt and combine. Pour your milk mixture into the dry ingredient bowl. Add the oil, 1 tablespoon vanilla + sugar and whisk together, until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake cases. Make sure these cupcake cases are also in a cupcake/muffin baking tray. Place the cupcakes into the oven for 20 minutes. Take your cupcakes out of the oven and leave to cool. If your cupcakes have risen too high, don’t worry! This just means more yummy sponge. However, if you want them to be super even, you can just cut the top off evenly once they are fully cool.
- Now it’s time to make your icing. Add the butter to a standing mixer and beat on medium-high speed until creamed. Sieve the icing sugar and cocoa (60g) into the same mixing bowl with the butter. Add the 1 tablespoon vanilla extract. Mix on a low speed for around 1 minute, and then increase to a high speed for a further minute. You can leave this for longer if you want the icing fluffier. If you need, add another 1-2 tablespoon water to get the buttercream to your desired texture.
- Once your sponge is completely cool, place your icing into a piping bag and create swirls with your icing on the cupcake. You could also decorate on top of the icing with grated chocolate, biscuits, fruit, etc etc. The options are endless! Enjoy!