This coconut loaf cake is the perfect cake for any coconut lover. The sponge is moist and soft; made with coconut milk and coconut oil. The loaf cake is topped with white chocolate and desiccated coconut, making a beautiful looking AND tasting cake!
The sponge in this cake speaks for itself. It doesn't need any buttercream to go with it as it is so wonderfully moist on it's own with the lovely, warming flavours of coconut running through. The white chocolate adds a lovely sweetness which compliments the sponge. Whilst the desiccated coconut adds some bite to this cake experience. If you did want to serve this with something, I recommend some single pouring cream. This will add an extra decadence to this already indulgent cake!
I think this cake works really well as a loaf cake. However, you could make this in a different shape if you wish. For example, the same quantities would make a small, two-layered, 6 inch cake. This would mean that you could layer your sponge up with some other flavours if you want! However, if you opt to follow my loaf cake recipe, I promise it won't disappoint!
The sponge follows my classic vegan sponge method where you make a vegan buttermilk with apple cider vinegar and milk before combining with the dry ingredients. I think this is a fail-safe, delicious way to make vegan sponges. Within this recipe, I have used as much coconut as possible! For example, coconut milk is used for the buttermilk, coconut oil and coconut extract is used for the batter. Finally, desiccated coconut crowns this cake, meaning this cake has FOUR types of coconut in! A coconut lovers dream.
I hope you love this coconut loaf cake as much as I do. Please let me know if you have any questions in the comments section below or on Instagram.
Coconut Loaf Cake
- 400 ml Coconut milk from a carton
- 1 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- 300 g Sugar white, caster, super-fine
- 1 tablespoon Coconut extract
- 150 ml Coconut oil
- 350 g Flour plain, white, all-purpose
- ¾ teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 150 g White chocolate
- 3 tablespoon Desiccated coconut
- Decorations of choice - I chose little snowmen
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C/ 356°F. Grease a standard loaf tin (mine is 10x4 inches) with a small amount of butter.
- Pour your milk and apple cider vinegar into a large bowl and whisk together briefly, until just combined. Set this aside for a couple of minutes. It will curdle (but don't worry- this is what we want!).
- In another bowl, sieve the flour, soda, baking powder and salt. Mix these dry ingredients together with a spoon. Then, into your bowl with the buttermilk, place your caster sugar, coconut extract + melted coconut oil. Whisk together until just combined. Then, pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients bowl, whisking as you go.
- Pour your cake batter into the greased loaf tin. Bake for 55 minutes, or until a knife comes out of the centre clean. Then leave the cake to cool in the tin completely.
- Once fully cool, remove your loaf cake from it's tin and place onto your desired serving plate. You are likely to need to use a knife to go around the cake to edge it out of the loaf tin. Then, melt your white chocolate and pour this on top of the loaf cake, spreading it evenly across the top of the cake. Add the desiccated coconut on top and any chosen decorations.
- Cut the loaf cake up, serve it and ENJOY! 🙂